Classification: Eating Disorder
ICD-9-CM Code: 307.51
ICD-10-CM Code: F50.81
Symptoms: Recurrent episodes of eating excessive amounts of food — or eating more rapidly than normal — without purging.
Levels of Severity: The following are levels of severity for binge-eating disorder.
- Mild: 1-3 episodes per week
- Moderate: 4-7 episodes per week
- Severe: 8-13 episodes per week
- Extreme: 14+ episodes per week
Usual Onset: Adolescence, Young Adulthood
Comorbidity: Depressive Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety Disorders, Personality Disorders, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, Kleptomania, Fibromyalgia, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Substance Use Disorders
Gender Ratio: Women > Men
- Antidepressants (SSRIs)
- CNS Stimulants
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Bariatric surgery